Sunday, July 27, 2008

Island Park Reunion



We left our house in Washington on July 9th. Our plan was to drive down to Butte, Montana all day and stay in a hotel for the night. In the morning we started out great. We weren't sick of each other...yet...and we were organized and comfortable. However, as many of you may know, it doesn't often stay that way. As the trip went on we got less and less organized and more and more irritable. Fortunately we managed to safely make it to Butte, Montana. We were finally able to relax, eat dinner and watch TV. Usually we get a hotel with a pool but we weren't able to do that this time. So, we stayed in a tiny room overlooking the baseball fields...lucky us. However, my brothers and my dad were able to go out to the baseball fields and stretch their legs and my mom and I stayed in a nice, quiet room...FINALLY!! We don't often get that in our house...if you can imagine.


The next day we took our time getting ready. It only takes about 2 hours to drive from Butte, Montana to Island Park, Idaho and we didn't have to be to our cabin until 4:00 in the afternoon. After we were all packed and loaded we made a "quick" stop at WalMart so we could pick up the things that we needed to eat while at the cabin. We finally piled back into our car and began to drive again. It went well at first. We started a movie that was 2 hours long (it should've been done as we pulled into the driveway of the cabin). However, we weren't that fortunate. My mom failed to look at the direction that my grandma sent to us so we got some off of mapquest. However, as many of you may know, mapquest is often not reliable. So, we spent about 3 hours driving down EVERY street in Island Park except the right one. At one point during our adventure we found a cabin that looked almost exactly like the one that we were supposed to be at. So, my mom got out of the car and started investigating...unfortunately, this wasn't the right one. Luckily, as we were driving down one of the street we passed my aunt Linda in her car. We were able to follow them up to our cabin. At this point my parents were very flustered. We had been lost for about 2 or 3 hours. They had to back up the boat (not an easy task) and turn around many times. We finally arrived at the cabin and unloaded all of our stuff.


Our Island Park Adventure:

30 people, 1 cabin, 3 nights...CHAOS (it actually wasn't as bad I imagined it would be)
Kevin...then Laura in the hottub
Scattegories and movies every night
Old Faithful
S'mores
Kayaking...FUN!!
"don't go in the lake, there's leeches in there!"
eating fish that the kids caught and my dad cooked...YUM!
going on walks around the cabin
and finally....growing together as a family



4 comments:

Kelly said...

Yea! I loved this recap, Ky, thanks. I really enjoyed Island Park, and I had no idea what you guys went through to find the cabin. I hope you had as good a time as I had.

Kylie said...

yeah but it's okay. At least we got there safely and we had a fun time once we were there. I had a really good time with you guys too.

Julie said...

Great times - Kylie, I still remember you as a toddler and our first "family reunion" up at Ess Lake when you and Ellie were the same age as Ethan and Nathan.

I feel so blessed to be part of such a fun family, and you're right, the best part of the trip was "growing together as a family." I feel closer to you all after the trip and look forward to many more in the future!

Carrie said...

great post Ky. My favorite is "don't go in the lake theres leeches". I laughed out loud when I read it. :)